Il Duomo di Santa Maria del Fiore
The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore was built starting in 1296 and concluded in the fifteenth century with the construction of Filippo Brunelleschi dome dell’ardita.
The church, which blend the Gothic and Romanesque styles, it houses precious works of artists such as Giorgio Vasari, Donatello, Paolo Uccello and the brothers Zuccari.
Finally, to visit the Bell Tower, with polychrome marble façade white, red and green.
Palazzo Vecchio (sede del comune)
Built from 1298 to 1314 dating back to a stranger project Arnoldo di Cambio, also called the Palazzo della Signoria or Palazzo del Popolo, is a massive square building covered with rusticated and lightened by mullioned windows and the slender tower built on a pre-existing called the “Foraboschi”, constituted the ancient home of the Medici rulers of Florence, until in 1550 Cosimo I not moved the seat of government in the Pitti Palace. Became the seat of the provisional governments d ‘Italy and today is home to the Town Hall. The main door leads into the courtyard of the Renaissance style and adorned with stucco work of the sixteenth century, the center of which is a copy of the winged genius with fish del Verrocchio.
Piazza della Repubblica
Republic Square is the center of the city since Roman times. Here, exactly where the Column of Abundance, met on cardus and decumanus maximun and I opened the big hole: the Cardo corresponds to Via Roma, Via Calimala and Via Por Santa Maria, instead Decuman corresponds to the way Corso, via degli Speziali and via degli Strozzi. Archeological traces have been found at the time of demolition nineteenth century, as the remains of buildings, a spa complex to the south, to places of worship. Via del Campidoglio and Via delle Terme for example, were named after their respective archaeological findings.
Chiesa di Santa Maria Novella
In fact, since 1868, following the abolition laws of church property and in accordance with the agreement signed in September 3 between the City and the rectors of churches, the Community of the Dominicans took on the obligation to provide for the maintenance of worship and its officiatura ordinary and extraordinary, thus becoming responsible for the pastoral and liturgical service of the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella. Currently, thanks to interinstitutional cooperation, it was possible to reach an agreement between local owners and management bodies that allows the transmission unit of the monumental complex of Santa Maria Novella, giving visitors the perception of the indivisible unity that characterizes the ancient settlement Dominican.
Piazza Santa Croce
The church of Santa Croce in Florence was built starting from 1294 according to the design of Arnolfo di Cambio, but in reality it was consecrated in 1443 in the presence of Eugenius IV. the church of Santa Croce has gradually enriched with donations of richhefamiglie Florentine which was then granted the burial inside the chapels. Inside the church are tombs of artists of the highest level and every branch of knowledge. Just to mention a few names we can remember Machiavelli, Alfieri (tomb of Canova, 1810), Michelangelo (tomb of Vasari, 1570), the tomb of Galileo Galilei (tomb of Vincenzo Viviani, 1737). The facade is of colored marble from Carrara and was designed by Chronicle (1857-63), while the bell tower of the church is Baccani (1965).
Built next to a crossing of the Roman era, the Old Bridge was until 1218 the only bridge crossing the ‘Arno in Florence. The bridge, as you see it today was costruto in 1345 after a severe flood destroyed the previous year.
During the Second World War, German troops destroyed all the bridges of Florence, except this one. However blocked the access to the bridge destroying the two medieval buildings on its sides. On November 4, 1966, the Ponte Vecchio miraculously endured the ‘huge wave of water from the’ Arno in flood, which broke its banks causing the ‘flood of Florence.
Above the Ponte Vecchio you can see a beautiful part of the Vasari Corridor.
Designed in 1869 by the Florentine architect Giuseppe Poggi, Piazzale Michelangelo offers a beautiful panoramic view of Florence and the Arno, and is definitely an obligatory stop for tourists and Florentines. Created as part of a major refurbishment of the city walls in 1869, this Poggi’s sumptuous terrace is typically nineteenth century. The Poggi built the square as a monument to the celebration of Michelangelo and his works, which were to be presented here, both the Daivid that the sculptures of the Medici in San Lorenzo. When the terrace was finished, Poggi also designed the loggia in the neoclassical style that was to house a museum of the works of Michelangelo. The building has never become a museum, and today is a famous panoramic restaurant.
The Uffizi Gallery is a major Italian museum located in Florence making it one of the best known and most important in the world. The building houses a superb collection of priceless works of art, which, like core, from the collections of the Medici, enriched over the centuries by bequests, donations and exchanges, among them a key group of religious works derived from the suppression of monasteries and convents between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Divided into several rooms prepared for schools and styles in chronological order, the exhibition shows works from the twelfth to the eighteenth century, with the world’s best collection of works of the Tuscan school, and Florence in particular, that allows you to appreciate the development from Gothic to Renaissance to mannerism, from Cimabue to Michelangelo, passing by Giotto, Leonardo da Vinci and Raphael.
Basilica di San Lorenzo
It was consecrated in 393 and is one of the churches that vie for the title of the oldest in the city, for three hundred years has been the role of the cathedral, before giving the status to Santa Reparata, when they were solemnly transferred the remains of the first bishop of Florence , St. Zenobius. It was enlarged and re-consecrated the first time in 1059, with a chapter of canons in the church that gave impetus to the construction of some circles as the cloister next to the church. It was decided by the Canons of a new extension at the beginning of the fifteenth century, but the work proceeded very slowly at first.
The church of San Miniato in Florence was started in the eleventh century and is, after the Baptistery, the highest testimony of Florentine Romanesque style. The church was already present at the time of Charlemagne, but the structure that we see today is stat began in the early years of the eleventh century by the Bishop Hildebrand. The Benedictine monastery dated from the Carolingian age, but the church was completely renovated from 1018 by the bishop Hildebrand. The “salient façade” is covered with colored marble (white and green). At the ground floor is mainly architectural decoration: 5 arches on Corinthian columns that frame the three entrance portals to the church and 2 fake portals closed. In the upper 4 fluted pilasters surmounted by a pediment. The plan is rectangular with 3 aisles.
Mercato di San Lorenzo
The San Lorenzo market extends from Piazza San Lorenzo to Via dell’Ariento and surrounds the Church of San Lorenzo in the historic center of Florence. The market can be considered the most important of the city and is done every day except Sunday and Monday. In the San Lorenzo market you can find clothes, belts, wallets, and many leather goods, souvenirs and many also for tourists who want to buy a souvenir of their visit to Florence.
Also in the San Lorenzo area, not far from the market, we find the central market located between between via dell’Ariento, via St. Anthony, via Panicale and Piazza del Mercato Centrale.
Fiesole from the fourth century BC is one of the most important Etruscan cities (in Etruscan Vipsul) in the southern foothills of the Apennines. He was an ally of Rome in the third century BC In 90 BC the city rebelled during the social war, and was then taken daLucio Porcius Cato. Soon after, for having sided with Mario, it was occupied by a colony of veterans of Sulla. Thus was born officially Faesulae Roman center of the region, which had a capitol, a forum, a theater, temples, and a thermal plant. The acropolis was on the top of the hill, where now stands the convent of St. Francis. The city enjoyed relative prosperity until the barbarian invasions. In 405 Fiesole was the scene of the battle which saw the defeat of the Goths Radagaiso by Stilicho.
Siena was founded as a Roman colony in the time of Emperor Augustus and took the name of Saena Iulia. Inside the historical center of Siena were found sites of Etruscan, which may suggest the founding of the city by the Etruscans. The first known document in which it is mentioned the Siena community dates back to the 70 and bears the signature of Tacitus, in the fourth book delleHistoriae, reports the following incident: Senator Manlio Patruito reported to Rome that he was mistreated and ridiculed with a mock funeral during his official visit to Saena Iulia, a small military colony of Tuscia. The Roman Senate decided to punish the main perpetrators and strictly recall the Sienese to a greater respect for authority.
San Gimignano was built on a site inhabited by the Etruscans certainly, at least from the third century BC, as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds (especially tombs) in the surrounding area. The hill was definitely chosen for strategic issues, being dominant (324 m) over the upper Val d’Elsa. On the slopes of Poggio del Comune (624 m asl) are the ruins of Castelvecchio, a village of Lombard period. The first mention dates back to 929. In the Middle Ages the town was on a pillar of Via Francigena, which Sigerico, Archbishop of Canterbury, traveled between 990 and 994 and which for him represented the nineteenth stage (Mansi) of its return route from Rome to England . Sigerico the appointed Sce Gemiane, signaling the village as a point of intersection with the road between Pisa and Siena.
The Accademia Gallery is a museum in Florence, situated in Via Ricasoli. The museum owes its popularity to the famous David by Michelangelo and other works.
Inside the gallery also houses the Museum of Musical Instruments, which displays many artifacts belonging to the historical collection of the Conservatorio Luigi Cherubini.
Museo nazionale del Bargello
With the establishment of a free city of Florence and the creation of the post of captain of the people, the palace was built later said of the Bargello. The first core, overlooking Via del Proconsolo, already begun in 1255, was built according to Giorgio Vasari by Lapo German, incorporating the old palace, the tower of Boscoli and some houses and towers of the Badia Fiorentina, between 1340 and 1345 ‘s building was elevated by Blacks of Fioravante. Subsequently expanded with a new building on Water street between 1260-80 in 1295 was made the arcaded courtyard, between 1316 and 1320 was raised on the sides of Ghibellina and Water street. In the middle of the fourteenth century also became the seat of the Podestà.
La casa di Dante
Dante himself wrote that he was born under the shadow of the Badia Fiorentina laparrocchia of St. Martin, although it is not certain that the building is exactly the one which today houses the museum. The nearby church of Santa Margherita de ‘Cerchi is the place where the poet would have met for the first time Beatrice Portinari. The current museum incorporates some medieval houses, as one of the two towers of Giuochi, one located in Via Santa Margherita # 1. The family of Giuochi was a neighbor of the Alighieri and became extinct around 1300 with Gherardo Caesar. The house of the Alighieri original is generally indicated (without having the certainty) as a destroyed building that stood in Piazza San Martino, near the Torre della Castagna, towards the current way of stores.